On the 28th October, Coventry Rugby’s Executive Chairman Jon Sharp – along with the Lord Mayor of Coventry, Councillor John McNicholas was invited to attend an event at Earlsdon RFC in aid of the the fundraising ‘150 Walk’. President of Rugby Football Union (RFU) Jeff Blackett and his wife Sally are walking 150 miles during a 15 day nationwide tour to raise money for the Injured Players Foundation (IPF) as a part of the RFU’s official Anniversary Celebrations.
The Injured Players Foundation – the RFU’s primary charity, have been conducting some commendable work, providing vital funds to injury prevention research. The funds which are helping to make the sport safer also provides support to any rugby player who unfortunately sustains a spinal chord or brain injury during training or in matches.
The walk started on the 22nd October at Jeff’s own club United Services Portsmouth RFC in Hampshire and concludes on the 5th November at the home of England Rugby, Twickenham Stadium.
The event provides Jeff and Sally an opportunity to visit a number of rugby clubs, speaking to a range of club representatives – like Jon, who are able to join the duo on their walk, provide support and share their club’s stories or visions of the league.
Jon commented “Jeff has his heart firmly in the game of rugby and as we walked this was a great opportunity for me to express our concerns about the current state of the game and to share some ideas about its future shape. Thanks to Earlsdon RFC for the invite”.
Their itinerary is listed below:
- Friday 22 October 2021 Hampshire & Royal Navy Rugby Union (RNRU)
- Saturday 23 October 2021 Sussex
- Sunday 24 October 2021 Kent
- Monday 25 October 2021 Hertfordshire
- Tuesday 26 October 2021 Eastern Counties & Cambridge University
- Wednesday 27 October 2021 East Midlands
- Thursday 28 October 2021 Warwickshire
- Friday 29 October 2021 Staffordshire
- Saturday 30 October 2021 Yorkshire
- Sunday 31 October 2021 Lancashire
- Monday 1 November 2021 Cheshire
- Tuesday 2 November 2021 Gloucestershire
- Wednesday 3 November 2021 Devon & Cornwall
- Thursday 4 November 2021 Oxfordshire & Oxford University
- Friday 5 November 2021 Middlesex